Scientifically, tinnitus is the condition of hearing sound in the ear. The sound can be ringing, buzzing, roaring, clicking or any other complex noise. If you think you have tinnitus, read this to confirm.
- What is tinnitus? And what is it types?
Tinnitus is a hearing disorder and can be classified into two types – subjective and objective. Subjective tinnitus is the condition in which a person hears sound in their head, that is not produced in the surrounding. Whereas in objective tinnitus, people hear actual sound generated inside or near the ear. Moreover, in some situations the condition, the symptoms may persist for hours or return after an hour of interval.
- What is its symptoms?
The only symptom is hearing a low or a high-pitched sound regularly or at intervals.
- Cause of the disorder?
Though there is no known cause of the disorder, it can occur due to any of the following conditions –
- Exposure to loud noise
- Side effects of certain medications (intake of aspirin for long term)
- Dysfunction of Eustachian tube (that extends from middle ear to throat)
- Inner ear infection
- Meniere’s disease that causes hearing loss and dizziness,
- Low or high blood pressure
- Head injuries
- Invasion by foreign particle,
- Deposition of wax.
If you are suffering from tinnitus and looking for tinnitus testing in Laredo, Texas visit Oliveira audiology and hearing center. They are highly dedicated to their job to help people to increase their hearing efficiency.
The first step includes knowing your health history and is done before carrying out any of the following tests –
- Hearing or an audiological exam – you will be given to listen to sounds through earphones in a soundproof room in one ear at a time. You have to tell when you hear the sound. Results will be made considering your answers and age.
- Movement test – you will be told to do facial movements, relating to your tinnitus.
- Common imaging test includes
– Head CT and MRI scan
– Test of blood vessels
- Possible precautions or prevention?
It is always better to prevent problems than to look for a cure. One should follow the following to cure tinnitus-
- Stay away from loud sound and noise.
- Keep your ears clean.
- If you are already suffering from tinnitus, avoid caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine as much as possible.
Although the first thing the doctor might tell you is to stop the medicines that are aiding the disease or medicate the other health problems leading to tinnitus. However, you can get the following devices and medicines until your problem is detected –
- Hearing aid
- Sound generators or maskers
- Counselling to take your focus off the disorder
- Tinnitus retraining therapy
- Possible changes in lifestyle
Tinnitus can affect your life if you don’t maintain it. It can cause-
Anxiety, depression, sleeplessness, and poor concentration.
To improve your condition, follow these steps in your life –
- Avoid loud noise
- Control your blood pressure level
- Maintain your exercise and sleep routine