Scientifically, menopause is the end of the menstrual cycle in women. Many women gain weight after that. Moreover, losing weight during or after menopause might be a difficult task since hormonal changes, stress, and aging will fight against you.
If your menopause is near or has already occurred, here’s what you can do to save yourself from weight gain.
Know the reason
These are the most common reason for weight gain during or after menopause –
- Fluctuation in hormone
- Decrease in muscle mass
- Inadequate sleep
- Increase in the insulin resistance of the body
- Intake of a low-calorie diet for a long term
- Generic factors
- Weakening or slowing down of metabolism
- Lack of physical activity
There can be many other reasons that are not mentioned here but can cause weight gain.
What are the risks of the sudden weight gain?
Menopause weight gain can result in many serious conditions like –
- Breathing problem
- Cardiac or blood vessel-related diseases
- Type 2 diabetes
- Breast cancer
- Colon cancer
- Endometrial cancer
- Hot flashes
- Night sweats
- Physical effects of estrogen deficiency in the body.
Want to lose weight, follow these tips!
- Get adequate rest or quality sleep
Beauty sleep is not required for beauty only but for good health and weight loss too. It will increase your hunger and fullness hormones keeping you away from unnecessary weight.
- Psychotherapy or Acupuncture treatment
Not only insomnia, but psychotherapy can help women suffering low estrogen in their body.
- Try to relieve your stress
Not only weight gain, but stress can also cause cardiac diseases increased cortisol level. Regular yoga can help in the reduction of stress.
- Take plenty of protein in your diet
It keeps you full increasing metabolism in-turn decreasing muscle loss
- Prefer food containing high soluble fibre
Add more food likes flaxseed, Brussels, sprouts, avocados, broccoli to increase insulin sensitivity. This will reduce your appetite boosting weight loss.
- Drink green tea
Green tea with work out gives you the best-anticipated results.
- Keep the practice of mindful eating
This helps in the reduction of fat as well as the amount of food you consume.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle
- Put a limit on your sweet intake
- Take a limited amount of alcohol
- Seek professional support
- Include dairy in your regular meal
- Take a healthy diet
- low-carb diet- helps in reduction of abdominal fat. Add components like meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, fruits, nut, seeds, high-fat dairy, fat, non-gluten grains, and healthy oils.
- Mediterranean diet – this type of diet is best known for providing good health and keeping away the heart risk. Include fruits, veggies, nuts, legumes, potato, whole grain, bread, herbs, spices, fish, seafood, extra virgin olive oil, poultry, egg, cheese, condiments, yogurt, red meat.
- Vegetarian diet – it includes dairy products as well as egg.
- Do regular exercise
Do exercises like cardio, resistance training with weights and bands, repetitions, strength training, and aerobics? Exercise promotes loss of excess fat from your body avoiding or preventing loss of muscle mass.